– What other experiences do you have that demonstrates your competence and ability to complete One Water Race?
* Multiple 24/48 hour Adventure Races throughout Australia * Numerous expedition length Adventure Races including ARWS Adventure Racing World Championships * Numerous of Ironman races including 2 x Kona World Championships
– Why do you want to participate in One Water Race?
Now that it has been proven that OWR is possible to complete, I want to see how fast it can be done and how much experience counts for in a race like this. Nothing ever goes smoothly in a race this challenging and long so it will be interesting to see how I can deal with these new challenges in a now somewhat familiar situation. OWR 2022 was a huge highlight and it continues to get me excited about it every time I think about it. But I feel that you can always improve and I would love to opportunity to see how we can excel in this race.
– Have you taken a similar challenge before?
Yes OWR 2022!
– What are your strengths?
I am a very optimistic person and this is a huge strength in endurance challenges to keep pushing on regardless of the situation and always see the positive side of the circumstances you find yourself in, be that sea sickness, chafing, or extreme cold. I am also a good team player and always try to keep the interests of the team in the front of my mind.
– What are your weaknesses?
My ability to tolerate cold is something that is a big weakness for this challenge and we were probably extremely lucky with the good weather we had last year. I am still very wary of the cold conditions that the archipelago could through up at us in 2023.
Fika is now a new weakness for me and I have to make sure I do not let it get me too distracted from my swimming and running training for this event.
I am also tone deaf when it comes to singing as I am sure my teammates will attest to. This usually doesn’t stop me from belting out a tune or two to keep us awake at night.
– What would be your biggest challenges in this race?
Although less of the unknown given I was able to experience this race in 2022, a challenge of this magnitude can never be underestimated. Trying to manage being constantly wet, keep nutrition down and keep moving efficiently forward for this length of time is a huge challenge in itself. Just because it has been completed once, does not mean it can be done again, and conditions are unlikely to be the same.
– Have you been to the Stockholm archipelago and what do you know/think about the terrain?
I was absolutely amazed at the terrain and scenery of the Stockholm archipelago and found myself regularly admiring what a perfect environment it was to be doing exactly what I was doing – swimming and running over some spectacular islands. It was quite varied throughout the race and certainly not something that we can replicate back in Australia.
– What are you most looking forward to, if you would participate in One Water Race?
It gave me immense pride and satisfaction to compete in and finish OWR in 2022. The support and welcome we received really made me feel a part of the OWR family and I would not want to miss out on this experience for a second time.